Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2013-09-11)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Sep 12 01:42:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, 11.09.13 20:54, Matthew Miller (mattdm at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> > How is that fqdn determined? Simply the result of gethostname()? Or is
> > this the result of "hostname --fqdn"? (the former just reads a string
> > from the kernel, which is fine; the latter involves DNS resolving that
> > string, and then reverse resolving it again, which is nothing we should
> > do when showing a login prompt.)
>
> Based on the bugs presented in the ticket, despite the loose use of FQDN,
> this appeared to be about putting \n in /etc/issue (after the initial idea
> of calling agetty --long-hostname was discarded). The agetty man page says
> that's nodename from `uname -n`, which is the underlying implementation to
> gethostname().

Well, the hostname is also shown directly in front of the "login:"
prompt (on the same line) by agetty itself (i.e. is not generated via
/etc/issue). Do you want to show it twice now, once via /etc/issue and
once via that login prompt agetty generates?

Or is part of this change that --nohostname becomes the default for our
agetty invocations? If so this should probably be a change that is made
in agetty. (Or a bug needs to be filed against systemd to add this to
the agetty cmdline in getty at .service, but I am very cold towards
overriding defaults of other software with systemd).

Guys, you really should figure out what is actually desired before you
start all that misleading bureaucracy.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.