Atlas update

Susi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 13 12:26:52 UTC 2013

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 15:24:28 +0300
Susi Lehtola <jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:16:46 +0200
> Frantisek Kluknavsky <fkluknav at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Atlas currently bundles Lapack. I want to update Atlas to 3.10.1
> > and unbundle Lapack as well. This will require rebuild of dependent
> > packages and maybe adding explicit dependency on Lapack.
>
> I'd think twice about debundling. For instance OpenBLAS actually
> replaces some LAPACK routines with more efficient implementations, and
> because of this OpenBLAS also includes a bunch functions from the
> lapack package.
>
> So, please check with ATLAS upstream whether you can safely unbundle
> LAPACK.

Actually, this is stated pretty clearly on the ATLAS page:
 "At present, it provides C and Fortran77 interfaces to a portably
 efficient BLAS implementation, as well as a few routines from LAPACK."

So, if you remove LAPACK from ATLAS, you'll also prevent compiling
LAPACK dependent packages against ATLAS.
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org