does mc really require perl*?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Sep 20 19:18:00 UTC 2013

Am 20.09.2013 21:13, schrieb Jakub Jelinek:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 08:37:50PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> well, some people would now say "i do"
>> the same i can say for sure to some other pakcages on a cloud server where
>> they would disagree and because everybody has different needs keep the
>> dependency chain as small as possible is always a good idea for a lot
>> of reasons and save ressources is generally a good idea even if most of
>> the young devlelopers never learned how to develop tiny, bugfree and
>> stable software - the results are well known
>
> But for the mc dependency on perl, I'd say it is very reasonable one to have, because
> otherwise none of the extfs will really work, that is something used pretty
> frequently in mc.  Of course unless you are prepared to rewrite all the
> scripts into awk, plain sh or something that will require smaller footprint

and that is why the thread subject is "does mc really require perl*?" which was
clearly a question - and could have been  aswered exactly as you did now

in the first front i answered to the mindless "disk space is cheap these days"
because this sloppy attitude leads to a lot of wrong decisions all over the
time - not all what seems to be cheap is it in reality and even if - not all
which is cheap is smart at the end of the day