hidden GRUB menu -> Re: Suspension problem last 2 days

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Sun Sep 22 16:13:48 UTC 2013

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 03:21:32 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> now we have exactly what i said will happen: users in trouble does not know how to
> boot the still installed older kernel because they never learned that there are
> more than one because they never faced it as all the years before

My grandfather still believes those are multiple _different_ Fedora
installations, each having different games/files.  As he has also CentOS menu
item there having multiple Fedora items is just too much for him.

A proper fix would need to be more thorough as in the case of multiple
different OSes installed you should always get the menu choice:

 * Always present only the latest kernel there,
   hide all older kernels under the menu item "Advanced options for Fedora".

 * Do not display the menu if there is only one option available.
   (Sure not counting the "Advanced options for Fedora" menu item.)
   Sure still the menu gets displayed on holding the SHIFT/ARROW key.

Failed boot of a new kernel is a rare case needing assistance of someone more
capable of admin work.  Such person knows how to display the menu.

Jan