thunderbird-24.0.2 reverted - why? (Use the commit log..., Luke)

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 14:30:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:39 AM, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Michael J Gruber
> <michaeljgruber+fedora-lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I can see that thunderbird 24 had been built successfully and then
>> reverted on the fc18 branch (and others). The git commit log and the
>> spec changelog say
>>
>> Revert to 17.0.8
>>
>> and nothing else.
>
> What happened here is that 24 caused broken deps so the maintainers
> probably reverted to get the security fixes out faster while stuff
> is being sorted out.
>
> And yes I agree that commit messages should be more verbose.

I almost opened a bug on the broken dep issue when I managed to solve
it locally. I was fighting with this last night but after I installed
the latest build of sqlite thunderbird 24 installed without any
issues.

It's really strange because the problem was with sqlite, not
thunderbird but sqlite was rebuilt by its maintainer to fix this
problem.

The real root cause of the broken deps is kind of bugging me:

>From sqlite's spec file:

%define realver 3080002
# Provide full package version
Provides: sqlite = %{fullver}

>From various parts of thunderbird's spec fie:

%if %{?system_sqlite}
%define sqlite_version 3.7.13
# The actual sqlite version (see #480989):
%global sqlite_build_version %(pkg-config --silence-errors
--modversion sqlite3 2>/dev/null || echo 65536)
%endif
---
%if %{?system_sqlite}
Requires:       sqlite >= %{sqlite_build_version}
%endif

So it's like something went wrong a long time ago and nobody took a
few minutes to sit down and fix it.. ?

Unrelated: I also had to manually install the latest builds of
libselinux and keyutils (also built yesterday) because I was getting
multiarch problems for other things as well.

Hope this helps.

Dan