Using USB 3 plugs crashes Gnome

Kristofer Rye kristofer.rye at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 22:29:28 UTC 2013

Hello,

I use USB 3.0 every day on my HP Pavilion DV6Z-QE with everything.
There are some odd glitches at times but usually it's my fault as I do
weird stuff to my kernel sometimes (really hard to explain).

If the mouse is moving, that says to me that the mouse cursor is
displayed by the hardware (no surprise there), but that Xorg is also
in some sort of functional state. That leaves GNOME as the main
suspect.

I've had problems before with a corrupt SD card -- one which I had to
reformat using my camera -- which caused GNOME to hang and stay hung
until I removed it from the computer. To me it seems like it's
something similar to that.

That also makes me wonder what kind of USB controllers your laptop
has, and if they're properly supported (i.e. if someone has this issue
also or something similar).

// Kristofer "four04" Rye