F21 Self Contained Change: Playground repository

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Apr 8 16:17:35 UTC 2014

= Proposed Self Contained Change: Playground repository =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Playground_repository

Change owner(s): Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com>,  Mirek Suchý
<msuchy at redhat.com>
Responsible WG: Env and Stacks WG

The Playground repository gives contributors a place to host packages that are
not up to the standards of the main Fedora repository but may still be useful
to other users. For now the Playground repository contains both packages that
are destined for eventual inclusion into the main Fedora repository and
packages that are never going to make it there. Users of the repository should
be willing to endure a certain amount of instability when using packages from
there.

To avoid any potential confusion, we want to make it clear that the Playground
repository will not host packages that have bad licenses, include proprietary
software or include patented software.

== Detailed Description ==
We are still working on details but the main ideas are finished and described
in the [1].

Packages for the repository are built in COPR. The COPR owner can propose the
repository as a whole for inclusion into the Playground repository by marking
it as such in COPR. Repositories/packages successfully built and satisfying
the Playground repository's Policies are copied into the Playgroud repository.
The one Playground repository includes many Copr repositories.

Playground repository is only meant to provide packages for Fedora 21 and
later versions. Initially, the repository will be provided as a Beta for a
limited number of packagers and testers, so we'll be able to incrementally
define the remaining details of the workings of the repository. To enable the
repository, testers will need to use DNF along with its Copr plugin.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
** Document process, setting, guidelines (if any)
** Communicate with Copr developers

* Other developers:
** Copr devs
*** Ability to mark an individual COPR for inclusion in the Playground
repository.
*** Copr deployment that's considered reliable enough to build packages for
this repo

* Policies and guidelines:
** Packages must follow the Legal Guidelines. In particular, the license for
all packages must be approved in the Legal Guidelines.
** Packages may violate other Fedora Packaging Guidelines.

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Env_and_Stacks/Playground_repository_(draft)