Man pages for multiple python versions

Michael J Gruber mjg at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 8 17:00:03 UTC 2014

Hi there,

I'm about to package gmpy2, a python extension module which succeeds
gmpy without being upwards compatible. That's why it should be a new
package rather than an update.

The old gmpy is packaged as "gmpy" for python2 only.

The new gmpy2 comes with sources which are intended for being built both
with py2 and and py3. So the plan is to emit "python-gmpy2" and
"python3-gmpy2" from one srpm by building the same source twice.

BUT: What do I do with common man pages? Do I need to generate a man
subpackage which both depend on? (There is no problem for docs which go
into doc/package/, of course.)

Also, copying the source around just to be able to do "build build
install install" rather than "build install build install" seems clumsy
but unavoidable.

Thanks for any hints
Michael