trimming down Fedora installed size

Basil Mohamed Gohar basilgohar at librevideo.org
Wed Apr 9 13:53:10 UTC 2014

On 04/09/2014 03:33 AM, Marius A wrote:

> I think less than 0.1% of users ever look into /usr/share/doc, but I
> don't have any data to back this up.

I think I must fit into this 0.1% (and I am not disputing that that is
the correct ratio, either) because I definitely use /usr/share/doc, but
mostly because that holds more than just "documentation".  For example,
avahi stores example service definitions for ssh and sftp under
/usr/share/doc, and I believe this behavior exists with other packages
for non-strictly-documentation data.

I don't know what the standard is for defining what, if anything, should
be placed under /usr/share/doc, but as it stands now, we should at least
know and acknowledge that it's not just READMEs and HTML files when we
make the decision to not install it by default or to reduce the chance
that it's installed.

Having said that, I am all for saving space on a default install and/or
making a more minimal install possible.  I noticed just now that
manpages are compressed, but with gz.  I am sure this discussion has
already happened, but maybe we can have an alternative man-xz format
that will reduce the size of the individual packages for a Fedora
Minimal or somesuch (I think manpages should be very, very far down on
the list of what to be left out from an install, as they are sometimes
the last resort on what to do).

My two bits on the idea.

--
Libre Video