fedora-atomic discussion point: /usr/lib/passwd

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 17:08:03 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 11.04.14 16:09, Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Martin Langhoff
>> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >If you move in this direction, you have to create files/dirs to be
>> >owned by the daemon user too.
>
> Hmm, let's think for a moment what kind of files this actually matters
> for. In which directories do system users actually own files?
>
> That'd be suid/sgid binaries in /usr/bin. That'd be working directories
> in /run and /var. Anything else?
>
> The latter don't sound too bad, since we can allocate them during late
> boot. The fomer is the messy bit.

Stuff like /var/lib/{mysql,ldap} is what I was mainly referring to.
The services depend or could/should depend on resolving any mounts
needed to get /var/lib in place.

Not a big deal for systemd, but I want to note -- the creation of
/var/lib/{svc} is often driven by a script that may do additional work
(i.e.: create a template database), and may have interesting error
conditions.

Not sure why you mention suid/sgid -- this applies as long as the
service is run as a particular user. Maybe systemd needs to resolve
those users while parsing the service files?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff