Maybe it's time to get rid of tcpwrappers/tcpd?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Apr 24 14:13:28 UTC 2014

On Thu, 20.03.14 18:34, Lennart Poettering (mzerqung at 0pointer.de) wrote:

> Heya!
>
> I wonder whether it wouldn't be time to say goodbye to tcpwrappers in
> Fedora. There has been a request in systemd upstream to disable support
> for it by default, but I am not sure I want to do that unless we can
> maybe say goodbye to it for the big picture too.

To add to this old thread: OpenSSH has now also decided to drop tcpwrap.

https://lists.mindrot.org/pipermail/openssh-unix-dev/2014-April/032497.html

Some of the posts in this thread are actually quite entertaining.

For example, the first call of hosts_access() is setjmp(), which is just
beautiful... We probably should make setjmp()-freeness a requirement for
all code included in Fedora.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat