[RFC] plans for initscripts in F22

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Thu Apr 24 15:55:29 UTC 2014

Hello,

> We must keep initscripts support, but I can imagine a setup where every
> service uses a systemd unit, so this part does not have to be installed by
> default, but could be pulled in as a dependency.

Are you sure?  If you take an existing RPM that ships a sysv file, that's
alone an indication that it probably hasn't been significantly reworked, so
noone is likely to have added an explicit requires: on "this part".  For
extra credit, make sure that this works correctly with LSB-compliant RPMs
that do nothing not required by LSB.

It might be solvable, or you might have already solved this and tested
this; but if not, it seems much simpler to me to just keep the few files in
a package installed by default and not worry about the 13 kilobytes or
whatever it is.

So I am suggesting to start with splitting initscripts to these
> sub-packages.

This seems to me to be going into the direction of too many sub-packages
(and thus too much packaging effort), but if it's you doing the work it's
really up to you.

(Note that splitting the packages that finely may not even be saving disk
space, when you count the size of the extra RPM headers and indexes, and
yumdb.)
    Mirek