When a yum update sets up an MTA ...

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Fri Apr 25 18:35:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/24/2014 01:57 AM, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 12:17 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I'm attaching the hits for that pattern on the actual RPM scripts in
>>> Fedora
>>> rawhide (x86_64).  This combines both regular scripts and trigger
>>> scripts.
>>> I can add additional columns with more information, but the text file
>>> will
>>> become a bit unwieldy.
>>

>> Can you double-check this?  nfs-utils isn't in this list, but I think
>> it should be.
>

> I accidentally used systemd.*enable as the pattern.  The attached list was
> created using systemctl[^\n]*enable instead.
>

>> Also, how did you generate this?
>

> I've got a tool which extracts interesting data from RPMs (metadata, but
> also Java method references, ELF symbols, Python imports).  I've added the
> query I used as an example here:
>

> <https://github.com/fweimer/symboldb/blob/master/doc/examples/rpm-scripts.txt>

Want to help with further analysis?  Setting up symboldb looks like a
lot of work.

The issues so are are:

1. It turns out that a lot of the %triggerun things are okay -- they
only run on upgrade from very old package versions.  But postinstall
is a problem, e.g. nfs-utils
2. I think you have data from RPMs that are retired, e.g. yum-cron.
3. The exim issue was caused by the --initscript option to
alternatives.  It would probably make sense to remove that option
entirely, but it could also be good to find and fix everything that
uses it.

--Andy