F21 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

P J P pj.pandit at yahoo.co.in
Wed Apr 30 05:47:03 UTC 2014

> On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 3:18 AM, Al Dunsmuir wrote:
> On my home LAN, I run my own DNSSEC-enabled server using F20 & bind 9.
> This  local server also is my DHCP and Samba server. As usual, dynamic
> clients  receive  the  LAN  local  domain  ID  and  DNS  server  ID
> automatically.
>
> How  does  this  proposed  change  affect my clients, or especially my
> server  (which  uses  NetworkManager  (not  Network),  and a static IP
> address?

  This should work just fine. If you upgrade your F20 machine to say F22, it would have the default resolver running on 127.0.0.1:53 with its entry in '/etc/resolv.conf'. One change you would need to do is to make it listen on 0.0.0.0:53 or the on static IP address of your server. Your clients won't know that they are talking to a different DNS resolver.

If your clients are upgraded to F22, NetworkManager there would make the local resolver talk to the one on your server, because it'll receive that name server configuration via DHCP.

> As  nice  as  unbound  may  be,  documentation and configuration files
> related to this change should not assume it is the only DNS server for
> Fedora.

  Nope, we don't assume that. In fact it's been discussed earlier
here -> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-April/198620.html

---
Regards
   -Prasad