fedora-atomic discussion point: /usr/lib/passwd

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 14:30:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-30 at 13:25 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > can you use an actual chroot ?
>
> Calling chroot tends to imply running code from the target system.  I'd
> prefer to avoid that by default.  In practice some things are going to
> require it, but the more we can avoid it, the better.

ok so the point you are making is that you'd want a way to just write
out a file on your own and have whatever mechanism provides users to the
system load it at the next startup and blow away the previous data ?

> > I am not sure I understand the fdatasync() argument here ?
> > sssd uses a database, so it is indeed probably "heavy" on f(data)sync
> > for your standards (?).
>
> It's not about how heavy the use of fsync is - it's whether to do it at
> all.  There are two cases where we *don't* want to fsync - mock chroots
> and initial installs in Anaconda.  For the other cases, like upgrading
> a running system, we do.

Ok, understood, the above mechanism I described would be your favorite
way to avoid syncs ?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York