F21 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 20:55:59 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-30 at 16:12 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 01:06:51PM -0700, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:

> > > Note that with NetworkManager, no WiFi connection is ever made (even
> > > open) without the user explicitly requesting it.  If you have the
> > > NetworkManager-config-server RPM installed, then no ethernet connection
> > > is ever made without the user explicitly configuring it.  So I'm not
> > > sure the description quite fits...
> >
> > Except for that network called "linksys" that everyone has requested
> > at some point.
>
> If I once connected to an open network called "MyFavoriteCoffeeShop"
> then later on someone creates a network with the same name but with
> malicous intent, will NetworkManager connect to it automatically?

If it uses the same SSID and compatible security settings, then yes.
That's the nature of 802.11.  However, if the malicious user doesn't
know the password that you have saved on your machine, or the network's
CA certificate does not validate, then the attempt will fail.

Furthermore, if the user creates a network of a different type (eg,
Ad-Hoc but yours is infrastructure), NM will not attempt to connect to
it.

Yes, there are ways to game the system, so you are correct that there
are some cases where NetworkManager could automatically attempt to
connect to a malicious network that mimics a known network, the same as
with most other OSs and phones.

Dan