Are we still translating things?

Andrew Schultz ajschult at verizon.net
Wed Aug 13 21:32:05 UTC 2014

David Woodhouse wrote:
> Because I misunderstood and thought that the trans@ list might actually
> be somewhere that people should post to for one-off advice and
> assistance (or to point out broken links on the web page), without
> wanting to subscribe and take a daily interest in l10n matters.

While that seems like a good idea and I have sometimes wanted something
like that myself, I think people on the list are much more likely to
respond if they know the original person will see the response.  From
experience, I see people posting to such more "open" lists and saying
"I'm not subscribed.  Please send replies to my email address", which is
not the way things should work.

Limiting posting to subscribers probably also reduces spam (or at least
the need for spam moderation).

Of course, all that doesn't mean the message shouldn't try to more
accurately convey the situation.  It sounds like a catch-all rejection
message or like the wording is targeted at subscribers who are being
incorrectly rejected.

--
Andrew Schultz
ajs42 at buffalo.edu