"Tick-tock" release cadence?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Thu Dec 4 18:32:33 UTC 2014

As a user/re-mixer, I don't like it. I'm at the point now where I need
a rolling release. I can live with a six-month or eight-month lag
between desktop updates, but I can't live without regular updates to R
and R packages, PostgreSQL/PostGIS, QGIS, the Python data science
tools, etc. And I'm running the Developer Edition of Firefox, which
updates almost every day.

There's only one major distro now with a calendar-driven release
cadence, and quite frankly I don't know how they do it. Everyone else
is either rolling, try for calendar but don't ship if it's fatally
broken (Fedora and openSUSE), or ship when it's solid and stable and
supportable (Debian and RHEL).

I'm probably going to run at least one of my machines on Rawhide after
the F21 release, but I think the "sweet spot" is what openSUSE has
done - a stable release with a nominal eight-month cycle and a rolling
release (Tumbleweed) layered over that. I'd like Fedora to at least
consider something similar.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-12-04 at 09:39 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
>

>> What do you think? Would this help towards the goals listed above?
>> Would it help _other_ things? What downsides would it bring?
>
> I think it is not useful to set up a general mechanism of alternating
> releases and borrow a name for it before you've discussed what concrete
> tasks in release engineering and qa there are that we just cannot get
> done. You're essentially asking ask to buy the cat in the bag...
>
> If we agree to this, will we get
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5721
>
> resolved for f22 ? What about
>
> https://phab.qadevel.cloud.fedoraproject.org/T377
>
> I think it is much better to talk about concrete goals and tasks in the
> rel-eng and qa space than about 'tick-tock' schedules. We're building an
> OS after all, not a cuckoo clock :-)
>

> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for
Digital Journalists https://osjourno.com

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.