"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Tue Dec 9 21:44:20 UTC 2014

On Dec 9, 2014 1:31 PM, "Reindl Harald" <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 09.12.2014 um 21:25 schrieb Pete Travis:
>
>> Lets say I do have an understanding of network basics, just for the sake
>> of argument.  I share my application with you.  The application is
>> intended to listen on the network, you know this and want the
>> application for that purpose.  You run the application, it tries to
>> listen to a network port.  Magick, prayers, and the ghost of Charles
>> Babbage - or maybe some hypothetical dbus service- does *something* to
>> find out if you really wanted that.  You did.  Neither one of us is is
>> made incompetent by the convenience.
>

> i did not say that nor is anything i said in that thread meant abusive

Of course not.  I didn't feel insulted at all.  My point is that me as the
hypothetical dev, you as the hypothetical tester, and the general public as
a hypothetical user base would *all* have a better life if some
hypothetical solution existed for my app to ask the firewall for something
and for the user to approve it.

>> Here's the thing: firewalld will let this happen.  at here is a dbus
>> interface.  Thomas has proven more than willing to accommodate RFEs.
>> Nobody is asking for changes that would solve the problem of frustrated
>> users or developers encountering firewall restrictions.  The GNOME folks
>> don't want the UX compromise of rote-clicked dialogs.  Nobody else is
>> suggesting an alternative implementation that actually *improves* the
>> Fedora experience.  Ideas get more traction than complaints
>

> that's true
>
> *but* if i do not have a idea to make things really better with all
side-effects i hestitate to change the current behavior until i have a good
idea

> the opposite happened with the change of this topic

Right, I think we're on the same page now.  If there's some consensus about
a desired behavior, interested parties can start working on it.  There's
two sides with an all-or-nothing position here, innovation does not come
from that.

--Pete