Other download options

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Dec 10 17:43:11 UTC 2014

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 09:52:05 -0700
Jerry James <loganjerry at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Maros Zatko <mzatko at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > Yes, there is netinstall in the Server variant, I suppose it's not
> > the same as Workstation one and (as a user) I'm getting pretty
> > confused now :)
>
> I'm getting kind of confused myself.  I want to grab an image to throw
> onto an old machine for my kids to use.  I just want a desktop with a
> web browser and a mail client.  Workstation isn't suitable; they
> aren't developers (yet).

Workstation is not "only for developers". Developers are someone the
workstation working group is targeting, but you don't have to be a
developer. Many of the same things developers want/need are things your
kids might want/need as well.

> Server and Cloud are definitely right out.
> I don't want a Live CD; I want to actually install.  (In the past,
> installing from a Live CD left one with different defaults than an
> install from DVD, so I've learned to avoid the Live CD.  Perhaps that
> reflex is now wrong.)

I'd suggest so. The installer is the same in both, there's some
details that are different, but the live media can install just fine.

>I guess I could go with one of the spins, but I
> don't see a GNOME spin anywhere.  Is there really no DVD image for a
> generic GNOME desktop install?  Maybe I should make Kevin happy and
> get the KDE spin. :-)

You could get any one of the spins and just install gnome-desktop from
there. Or workstation. Or KDE or anything in the package collection.

> Actually, the KDE, Xfce, LXDE, and Mate spins all seem likely to fit
> my use case, but I'm very surprised that there isn't a GNOME
> equivalent.  Or is there?  If there is, I can't tell from the
> information on getfedora.org.  What are we recommending for people who
> want to install a generic "access the Internet" type of environment
> for non-techies?  None of the products obviously address that
> audience.

The workstation media should work fine for that... it seems the
marketing around it isn't conveying that well.

For your case, I'd just install (using whatever) and install all the
desktops and try them out and see which one meets your needs best.

kevin