F22 Self Contained Change: Preupgrade Assistant

Petr Hracek phracek at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 12:16:18 UTC 2014

On 12/12/2014 10:01 AM, Petr Pisar wrote:
> On 2014-12-12, Petr Hracek <phracek at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 12/11/2014 05:17 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>> Will this handle packages that have been dropped but not obsoleted in
>>> the next release?
>> Yes definitely. The tool or respectively contents (which are part of
>> this tool) can be used for informing user
>> that some package has been dropped and how to replace them.
>> User should provide a steps how to do that.
>>
>> E.g. In F22 is dropped package A and in F23 it is going to replaced with
>> package B.
>> A content informs user in F22 that package does not exist anymore and it
>> is going to replaced with package B from F23.
>>
> I think the question was about packages without replacement.
>
> E.g. a package provided in F22 is not distributed with F23 anymore but
> no F23 package provides or obseletes the F22 package name. (Because there is
> simply no functional replacement, e.g. the package was dropped because
> of lack of maintanance.)
>
> Such non-upgraded package can cause dependency breakage because it can
> require an RPM symbol which is not available in the newer Fedora (e.g.
> a soname which has changed).
>
> Actually Fedora lacks any systematic approach to this problem. I'm not
> sure whether "yum distro-sync" or fedup removes such packages, but
> I know some users complained about it.
>
> -- Petr

I think that it can be solved together with FedUp tool.
This is a bit tricky. This can be removed either before or after an
upgrade with --force option.
Currently now preupgrade-assistant reports to users risks and what
he/she should do with system.
The aim of preupgrade-assistant is to help user with upgrades and this
task (like obsolete packages) is one part.

This has to be discussed with FedUp maintainer definitelly if we want to
upgrade Fedora successful.
I know that Fedora can be upgrade properly but If users have e.g.
database and wants to upgrade them
then It would be good to provide the steps for successful upgrade.

--
Best regards / S pozdravem
Petr Hracek