F21 downloads repository metadata in 3 places!

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 13:45:02 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Hedayat Vatankhah
<hedayat.fwd at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. I believe that the use should know, and more importantly be able to
> control WHEN the repo data is being updated. At the very least, he should be
> able to specify if the updates are automatic or not using a very user
> friendly method (probably during/after the installation; or per network
> connection).

I can only agree with this. Thanks to this thread I understand why I'd
get noticeable slowdowns and bandwidth peaks with tethering. I already
had an issue once with a DNF bug that took away a month's worth of
bandwidth in one hour by repeatedly downloading packages until my data
plan was shut down for the rest of the month.

I believe that defaults should not aim for the best case but rather
the worst. If my memory serves well (don't get me started) you can
easily choose with with windows updates how you want to use it
(automatically, on demand, etc) and that's something GUIs could
provide. And again, you wouldn't just give a choice between different
setups, but also explanations. And I don't mind having automatic
background updates as the "recommended" strategy, as long as it comes
with explanations on what it means.

Command-line users like me can instead have a look at the man and
system config (I know I should have done that) but I insist on prudent
defaults. We should assume that convenient defaults could hurt other
users instead, and especially non power users.

Cheers,
Dridi