Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 22:26:03 UTC 2014

On 26 December 2014 at 20:32, Alexander Ploumistos
<alex.ploumistos at gmail.com> wrote:
>why not offer packages from every DE and metapackages for other environments?

I don't see how this addresses the multiple "Calculator" application
problem I clearly outlined in my original blog post. Offering choices
and configuration options in applications is not zero-cost, and people
more qualified and eloquent than me have written why.

> If gnome-software aims to be novice-user-friendly, at least the latter should definitely be an option.

I don't see the logic there, sorry. Novice users don't understand the
fine nuances of the design choices of different desktop environments.

> Can gnome-software be the distro-wide default package manager while adhering to
> the HIG?

It's the software application installer for GNOME, and GNOME just
happens to be our chosen desktop environment. I don't think you can
ask if GNOME software maybe isn't a suitable Fedora application
installer because it doesn't give equal priority to MATE (a hostile
fork of an old version of GNOME). GNOME Software even prioritizes
GNOME software when running under KDE, and I'd hope Apper does the
same for KDE apps on KDE.

I do suggest MATE ship their own software centre, or use
gnome-software and just set an session-wide environment variable like
I suggested a long time ago.

Richard