Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Sun Feb 2 21:24:13 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 11:26:06AM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > For what my opinion is worth (as someone who's been around since the
> > RHL4.1 days) I have to agree.
>
> I think this is a good summary of what it's all about and what it isn't.
>
> https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/01/31/good-morning-bugfixing-and-thinking-about-fedora-next/

Hmm.  That's an interesting read, and for what it's worth I like the
position he advocates. It could be a great improvement over the current
'yum groupinstall' situation, depending on how some of the details are
worked out.

But looking at it from a 3rd party software perspective (F/OSS or
otherwise) it's barely an incremental improvement over the current
status quo -- While a third party will be able to rely on a minimal
package set being present (thereby eliminating a step in their
installer), they will still have to specifically target individual
Fedora [Product] releases and keep up with Fedora's release cadence as
well.  (In other words, it's a negligable improvement without some
significant changes to Fedora's release and support models)

Anyway, time to resume hacking on Gutenprint.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^