Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 4 09:59:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:01:40AM +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> Two thoughts:
> 1. Is there scope for a spin to be a particular sub-focus of a product?
> Desktop (all)
> . desktop gnome
> . desktop kde
> . desktop twm (maybe not)
> Server (all)
> . server web
> . server fileserver (or whatever might make sense)
> The idea being that everything under one product should be a
> subdivision of what would be included anyway. I realise there's the
> potential there to snowball again.

It looks like the Cloud and Server WGs are both going this way, with Server
offering a base plus different "roles" (like your web and fileserver
examples), and Cloud offering a generic image plus several tailored for
specific uses (docker, big data, etc.). The Workstation WG is going in a
different direction, but I also think the situation is legitimately a bit
different, as the intention is for the server roles to have fundamentally
the same interface/experience, and it's likely that basic things like
cloud-init will remain in the different cloud... uh... spins.