f20, anaconda, net install and video out of range ....

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 17:30:39 UTC 2014

On 7 February 2014 09:19, Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:

> Taking out everyone who tries to run fedora or rhel7 using a physical
> cirrus card IMHO is just sloppy and lazy. Yes, people still run P-III
> servers with SCSI disks and cirrus cards. In fact, I think you will
> see it more within the enterprise then outside it.

Not really. The enterprise side usually sticks to a maximum 5 year warranty
cycle for hardware because it works better from everything from insurance,
PCI certs, and taxes and other filings.. If they have old stuff it is
running software which can't be run on anything but the OS it  has
currently. So your old P-III box is going to be running RHEL-2.1/RHL-7.3
because whatever business app it has only runs or is only supported on that.

Businesses that are relying on very old hardware tend to fall into three
camps.
1) They are big budget places that can pay Dell, HP, IBM more money in
yearly warranty costs than a new server would cost.
2) Small places where they are getting by day by day and have better things
to do than pay for an Enterprise OS because they would like to pay
themselves.
3) Individual consultants who love to keep old stuff around because they
never know when they might need it (usually at 4 am when some new client
calls and says "We found that our accounting system relies on this old
Gateway computer with some sort of thick cables sticking out of it to
something making a lot of metalic noise at the moment."

Number 1 will pay Red Hat, SUSE, Dell, IBM etc to support Red Hat
Enterprise 2.1 til the heat death of the universe (ie they go bankrupt the
next fiscal crisis).
Number 2 will use whatever was on the box until they can't get parts for
it...
Number 3 won't want to put something new on it because if they need to
support Red Hat Linux 4.2, they will need a working copy of it on the
hardware of the time. [If they do it is to prove to their customer that
putting RHEL-7 on a 10 year old computer is a bad idea and then bill them
for the replacement computer.]

Only two of those camps will pay for licenses (the consultants will do so
as they need it and as long as they have a customer they can bill it to).
None of those camps will want to put a new enterprise OS on old hardware.

Now for the non enterprise market, there are many different areas that will
want to put new software on old hardware. However they either can do it
themselves and work through various problems, or they see it is going to
cost them more time than it is worth and go back to old stuff.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.