LinuxCNC RTAI kernel

John Morris john at zultron.com
Sun Feb 9 19:40:28 UTC 2014

On 02/09/2014 11:56 AM, Sandro Mani wrote:
[...liberal snipping...]

> Thanks for the detailed reply. It comes to mind that a F19 feature was
> packaging tools for 3D printing, see [1]. Back in October 2012 there was
> also a small discussion on devel [2] concerning 3D printing and
> potentially the creation of a 3D printing SIG if people were interested.
> Possibly one could group together and create a
> CAD/CAM/CNC/Maker/3Dprinting SIG?

Fedora's looking good ATM for the 3D printer folks.  Going forward,
LinuxCNC + BeagleBone is a new combo for replacing Arduino controllers,
which are already pushing the hardware's limits despite very clever
programming.  I don't know what Fedora's plan is for the embedded space,
but I did see a fc20 BeagleBone image.

As for the industrial side of the market, FOSS has potentially viable
competitors among two of CAD/CAM/CNC, FreeCAD and LinuxCNC (no CAM).
Fedora cannot ship FreeCAD because of a license problem with the
required OpenCASCADE [3], even though Debian allows it.  With LinuxCNC,
at least Fedora will have one of the three.

> I myself am using LinuxCNC (using the provided Ubuntu images) and I'd
> love to have LinuxCNC on Fedora, and although my knowledge as far as
> working in the kernel is rather limited, I'd be happy to help with the
> userspace portion.

At least package reviews would be extremely helpful when the time comes.
 Other pieces are falling into place pretty well; I'm mostly waiting
until these changes have been mainlined before starting the Fedora
packaging process.

Thanks for the offer to help!

	John

> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/3D_Printing