advertisement in packaged software (e.g. Firefox)

DJ Delorie dj at redhat.com
Thu Feb 13 18:21:38 UTC 2014

> A party who is molesting me with ads and tries to spy on me, hardly
> is my friend.

Those are strong words, and based mostly on here-say.  Even the Fedora
installer "molests you with ads" for various non-default packages.
Should we ban the installer?  Of course not.

There are specific issues that we are going to be worried about here,
but the key word is "worry", not "act".  Firefox is proposing a
feature and assuring us that it's safe and respectful.  Until we have
proof (or even evidence) that it's otherwise, we should refrain from
acting prematurely, and instead stick to what our values say we should
do.