Proposal to WGs and rel-eng: Move 90-default.preset from systemd to fedora-release

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Feb 14 15:22:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
>>  That seems reasonable, and in that case, something like
>> "fedora-presets"
>>  and "fedora-workstation-presets", etc., seems appropriate, and the
>>  corresponding release package could pull them in.
>>
> What about my proposal to drop the preset directly onto the file
> system (but
> in /etc rather than in /usr/share as we do now) in the live
> kickstarts?

That would mean that if we wanted to enable a new service by default,
admins wouldn't get it on upgrades.  Which may be fine with the
traditional rpm-on-client-side installs.

But I think this "upgrades diverge from fresh reinstalls" is a deeply
fundamental problem - one I am simply not allowing to occur in the
OSTree replication model.