dnf versus yum

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Sun Jan 5 18:24:39 UTC 2014

On 01/05/2014 07:07 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-01-05 at 10:04 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> On Sun, 2014-01-05 at 10:27 +0100, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
>>> The running kernel should not be removed with a simple 'dnf erase
>>> kernel' (why did they change remove into erase?),
>>
>> They didn't. Both work on both.
>
> It's symptomatic of how fucking terrible this thread is, btw, that
> people would post without checking any of this. It takes about ten
> seconds to open a kernel and run 'yum remove foo', 'yum erase foo', 'dnf
> remove foo', 'dnf erase foo'. If you're not going to go to *that* much
> trouble, it's a bit rich to start excoriating the dnf devs.

As I mentioned before I only auto completed yum, remove is not party of
the auto completed commands. If remove should be there, then this is a
bug. I will file one.

dnf has no auto completion and I have only seen reference to erase. The
man page of dnf does not mention remove (it mentions 'group remove').
This should probably be added. I will file a bug on that one too.

As a side not 'dnf --help' shows:

'--version             show Yum version and exit'

which probably also is wrong.

This is by no mean any excoriation of the dnf devs on my part.

Three documentation "bugs" out of a side track of a thread is not a
terrible thread, in my opinion...

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>