dnf versus yum

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Sun Jan 5 22:53:43 UTC 2014

Once upon a time, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> said:
> where would it be useful to uninstall base-package and YUM/DNF itself
> bringing your system in a non-recoverable state?

I already offered a couple of examples that you ignored (just a couple
that came to mind, certainly not an exhaustive list): when you have a
system that doesn't load a kernel from the filesystem, such as a VM
environment where the boot process is external.

Another is if you need to re-install the kernel RPM because files have
been removed, overwritten, etc.; "yum reinstall" is documented (unlike
this magic "feature") to not handle multi-install packages like the
kernel.  The only way is going to be to "yum erase" and "yum install".

Also, even removing every kernel RPM will not render your system
"non-recoverable".  You can always use a boot CD, and in modern Fedora
systems, the "rescue" kernel/initramfs are never removed (not owned by
any RPM), so you should always be able to boot that.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>