dnf versus yum

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Mon Jan 6 06:55:58 UTC 2014

On 01/05/2014 11:53 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> said:
>> where would it be useful to uninstall base-package and YUM/DNF itself
>> bringing your system in a non-recoverable state?
>
> I already offered a couple of examples that you ignored (just a couple
> that came to mind, certainly not an exhaustive list):

When will it be useful and correct to remove the *running* kernel (that
is what yum protects you from doing)?

Yum also protects you from removing yum, 'Error: Trying to remove "yum",
which is protected'. Is that bad also? As long as you have rpm installed
you can download the yum rpm, and re-install yum, so why protects it?
Could it be because yum has a user perspective, making it a tad harder
for the non technically oriented user to do bad things to the system?
Leaving the bad things to the more technically oriented user?

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/