dnf versus yum

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 15:05:37 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se> wrote:
> On 01/06/2014 02:06 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>>
>> Dne 6.1.2014 13:31, Lars E. Pettersson napsal(a):

>>> What would be the point in removing the running kernel? Is there
>>> actually such a use case?
>>>
>>> Lars
>>

>> Why are you asking? May be you should let your imagination run riot.
>

> Why? Isn't that obvious? If there is no use case for removing the running
> kernel, well, then there's no reason to let a application do so, isn't it?
>
> Allowing something that has no, or a minuscules use case, while at the same
> time might create huge problems for non technically oriented user, is, in my
> opinion, really bad.

It has been said before, a "non technically oriented user" will
probably never hear about yum.

I don't know how GUIs on top of yum behave, but maybe this kind of
behavior belongs there. I'm not discarding the possibility of a dnf
plugin doing just that, I would probably install and enable it.

To me, yum/dnf adds repository/network capabilities to the vanilla
rpm. but yum is also opinionated, because for instance it won't let
you install several packages with the same name (even though they
don't conflict). Unless of course if you configure them as installonly
packages.

Now about yum's do-not-erase-the-running-kernel opinion, it doesn't
bother me that much even though I'd rather not include it. But the
fact that it is undocumented behavior according to some does bother
me. What happens for instance when you use the --installroot flag ?

My 2 cents,
Dridi