dnf versus yum

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jan 10 00:23:32 UTC 2014

Am 09.01.2014 22:16, schrieb Przemek Klosowski:
> By the way, currently the protected list seems to be  'yum, systemd and running kernel'.
> I don't have a system to try it on

what about the machine you sitting in front of?
without -y flag yum asks if you mean your input serious

> so I just hope that one can't delete their dependencies either (glibc? what else?)

if you think one second about dependencies are solved you know what happens
you try tu remove glibc, all packages depending on glibc are resursive resloved
and finally one of them is yum - what happens: it stops

and that is why yum is and should be protected

> I think you can still brick the system with careless yum erases: for instance, deleting grub

how would this delete the bootloader in the MBR?
you do not need the grub-package installed to have a bootloader