dnf-0.4.11

Miroslav Suchy msuchy at redhat.com
Sun Jan 12 21:42:38 UTC 2014

On 01/12/2014 08:27 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> "dnf clean all" without "dnf --enablerepo=updates-testing clean all" does
> exactly*nothing*  in case of "updates-testing", the same for YUM simply
> because folders of non-enabled repos are not relevant for any operation

And is this correct behavior? (and yum behaves same way, so same
question apply to yum as well).

Man page for yum state:

yum clean metadata
Eliminate  all  of the files which yum uses to determine the remote
availability of packages. Using this option will force yum to
download all the metadata the next time it is run.

There is no statement that it apply only for *currently enabled* repository.
I would expect that it clean *all* metadata.

I was recently very surprised that when I done :

# rpm -q yum
yum-3.4.3-128.fc20.noarch
# yum clean all
# du -sh /var/cache/yum/x86_64/*
225M    /var/cache/yum/x86_64/19
111M    /var/cache/yum/x86_64/20
406M    /var/cache/yum/x86_64/rawhide

that there is a lot of data in /var. To be precise - after this
operation I would expect that /var/cache/yum/x86_64/ would have zero
size. And not 730 MB.

DNF is on the same boat:
# rpm -q dnf
dnf-0.4.9-1.fc20.noarch
# dnf clean all
Cleaning repos: fedora rpmfusion-free-updates adobe-linux-x86_64 Dropbox
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates rpmfusion-free updates rpmfusion-nonfree
Cleaning up Everything
# du -sh /var/cache/dnf/x86_64/*
114M    /var/cache/dnf/x86_64/19
34M     /var/cache/dnf/x86_64/20

Do others feel that this is correct or incorrect behavior?

Mirek