Firefox Gtk3 test package

Martin Stransky stransky at redhat.com
Mon Jan 13 15:53:25 UTC 2014

On 01/13/2014 04:48 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 13.01.2014 16:41, schrieb Josh Boyer:

>>> I don't say it's important/newsworthy. It's just FYI. Please ignore if
>>> you're not interested.
>>
>> Ok, I'll rephrase.
>>
>> I'm interested but I have no idea how this is different from every
>> other Firefox build that Fedora provides.  Could you elaborate on the
>> change some and why it's being made?
>
> most likely to have a chance to get rid of gtk2 package which otherwise
> you would need forever installed and loaded by using FF on GNOME3

Unfortunately that's not entirely true unless you want to run it without
NPAPI plugin support. The recent solution links plugin-container to gtk2
libraries to run flash and so (Java is not supported because it does not
run OOP).

When flash plugin is replaced by shumway [1] we can build FF as pure
gtk3 app and emulate flash by JS.

ma.

[1] http://mozilla.github.io/shumway/