web-assets-httpd stuck in limbo?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 16 03:27:47 UTC 2014

I've been looking at more webapp unbundling stuff over the last couple
of days (as anyone following my G+ feed probably noticed...) and I just
noticed that web-assets-httpd is still not being built. The last note
was back in August:

* Fri Aug 16 2013 T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth at gmail.com> - 4-1
- temporarily disable httpd stuff while we're waiting on sorting out the
  directory

that leads me back to a devel@ thread from around that time which in
turn links to a discussion where we were hoping to come up with
something compatible with Debian:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-javascript-devel/2013-August/005888.html

but both that thread and that bug report seem to have petered out, with
no movement.

Is there discussion going on about this in some other forum, still? Or
is it sort of in limbo?

I have unbundling of Roundcube's tiny_mce via an alias
to /usr/share/javascript/tiny_mce working fine, but it requires the
httpd .conf snippet that allows access to /usr/share/javascript , which
is part of web-assets-httpd...

On another track, the web assets change seems to suggest the use of
symlinks for unbundling things as a strategy to avoid divergence from
upstream in cases where they aren't being nice and providing a proper
variable for the path name that we can change or whatever, but I think
any attempt to use symlinks to unbundle things that have previously been
bundled is going to run head-on into the 'rpm can't convert directories
to symlinks' problem.

symlinks might be a better approach than Aliases, now I come to think of
it, since it's all well and good shipping httpd config files but it
doesn't help anyone using another web server...but I can't really use a
symlink approach without a good solution to the directory-to-symlink
problem, which we still don't seem to have.

I guess the cleanest approach would be to try and get a patch upstreamed
which specifies a variable for the path to the bundled stuff and have
our package set that variable accordingly...but that would require
web-assets-httpd also.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey