Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 23 11:41:48 UTC 2014

Am 23.01.2014 12:13, schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 23 January 2014 10:12, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> have you ever considered software as done and no known bugs?
>
> Okay, I'll bite.
>
>> ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/apps/sound/mp3-utils/mp3info/
>> upstream may dead, upstream my be alive but nothing to do
>> the software does what it is expected to do
>> so why should there be a new release?
>
> From the README of mp3info-0.8.5a.tgz:
>
> ---
> TO DO
> =====
>
> * ID3v2 support is the most often-requested feature and is badly needed,
>   however this will entail an almost complete rewrite and I'm a lazy SOB,
>   so it's going to be a while yet...  Anybody wanna volunteer?
> ---
>
> So, a command line program for getting info from an MP3 that doesn't
> support ID3v2, which is a 16 year old protocol that basically every CD
> ripping program defaults to? I'm not sure that supports your argument
> much

well, my usage of that tool is simply to get the duration from
files with a PHP script indexing my music archive, that call is
unchanged the last 7 years and so i continue to refuse the benefit
of throw a package out of the distribution because there is no
new upstream release

$handle = popen($GLOBALS['music_bin_mp3info'] . ' -p "%S" ' . escapeshellarg($path), 'r');

yes, i know that it is not a fedora package
mp3info-0.8.5a-20.fc20.20131231.rh.x86_64

but it is a good example of something used and just works with our
witout new upstream releases