Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Fri Jan 24 09:26:05 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 08:18:16AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> On 01/24/2014 05:50 AM, Christopher Meng wrote:
> >But, never deem that 5k components is the best number, comparing to
> >other Linux, we are far away behind. They can be used still at the
> >moment, why do we burden ourselves by the insignificant numbers?
>
> Quantity vs quality 5k - 7k was the number we peeked in contribution
> and innovation.

Says who?

> We should be able to calculate the number of components we as in
> distribution actually can manage.

We can't, because it is not possible. All packages are not equal,
whatever you might think.

> We just need to agree on average
> contribute time which could be 2.5 hours a day 5 days of the week or
> something and how long each component distribution task takes,

Oh, great... So I have two examples for you to ponder over, which might
help you to "determine" that... An update to new release of, say, libcdr
can be done and smoketested in 10-15 minutes. An update to new version
of libreoffice takes days, possibly more than a week.

> and
> how many packagers we have and reduce ourselves to exactly that size
> or there about.

Great way to make many packagers and users angry and move away. If your
quest is to destroy Fedora, just say it aloud...

Anyway, the main flaw in this scheme of yours is that you expect that
packagers will split the remaining packages among themselves. THIS. IS.
NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN. Ever. Fedora is not a dictature; you cannot
order packagers around to start maintaining something, if they do not
want to.

So, can we finally abandon this crazy idea?

D.