Source string contextualization

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Fri Jan 24 16:44:11 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Kévin Raymond <shaiton at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Nilamdyuti Goswami <ngoswami at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > To solve this issue, we have formed a Fedora SIG named "Source String
> > Contextualizing Group" [1] aimed at
> > providing concise yet meaningful description of the concerned source
> strings
> > in the source code itself to ensure the correctness and quality in the
> > resulting translations.
>
> It is *just* about improving the source code?
> There is already a Transifex feature which can help provide context
> without having to edit the source code.

Having translation context comments together with the source code is
beneficial for the same reason having API documentation together with the
source code is beneficial: they don't get out of sync.

Especially note that merely the English string is not always a sufficient
identifier of the context, unlike a function/method name in an API.  An
infamous case is the string "May" which may either be a month name or a
verb (in a software that is splicing sentences), and there already was an
application that used both.  Attaching a context within the translation
tool just wouldn't have worked.
     Mirek