Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 28 20:10:15 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 01:43:09PM -0500, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> There are two separate issues here: 'abandonment', and 'GUIness'. As to
> the latter, I think it's a mistake to have a primary application
> installation tool that only deals with GUI apps, because it relegates
> text-based tools, such as 'units', to a second-class status of being hard
> to find and to install. Similarly, at least some apps with inactive
> upstream are fine the way they are and do not deserve to be locked up in
> the attic.

I'm not sure I'm convinced. If someone is on the command line, isn't it
easiest to use a command-line tool to install those kinds of things?

If you're really interested in this, though, maybe come up with a mockup for
how command-line applications could be presented in the GUI installer in a
way that wouldn't confuse users?