19->20 fedup-0.8.0-4.fc19 messages worrisome?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 19:31:04 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-05-03 at 05:21 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Does what follows suggest to not proceed with to reboot the fedup grub stanza?
>
> setting up system for upgrade
> Finished. Reboot to start upgrade.
> Packages without updates:
>    compat-libstdc++-33
>    fedup
>    firefox # versionlock set to avoid australis/FF29
>    kernel-PAE 3.11.10
>    kernel-PAE 3.13.9
>    libgssglue
>    python-urlgrabber
>
> WARNING: problems were encountered during transaction test:
>    broken dependencies
>      firefox 25 requires xulrunner 25
>    package conflicts
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/bin/fedup", line 239, in <module>
>      main(args)
>    File "/bin/fedup", line 219, in main
>      for line in s.format_details():
> AttributeError: 'ProblemSummary' object has no attribute 'format_details'
>

> As I'm doing this on a clone partition, I can start over as a troubleshooting
> exercise if necessary.

Late reply, but as no-one else replied...

It looks to me like there's a fedup bug there: it's crashing when trying
to tell you what package conflicts it found (because it's expecting
ProblemSummary to have a 'format_details' attribute, but it doesn't, so
boom).

So you know three things:

1) You've found a bug in fedup.
2) You definitely have a dep issue with your firefox version pinning
(though that's not really a showstopper, you could probably resolve it
somehow post-upgrade if it were the only problem)
3) You probably have a package conflict issue of some kind, but you
don't know what it is

Given 3), I'd be loath to run the upgrade. I'd report the bug in fedup
(to RH Bugzilla or to https://github.com/wgwoods/fedup , I don't know
which wwoods would prefer). Run it with its debug parameters and stuff
enabled, so hopefully there'll be enough information for Will to figure
out what's going wrong.

You could either wait for wwoods to fix the bug so you can find out what
the package conflict issue is, or you could twiddle with the installed
package set and versionlock configuration and see if you can come up
with a layout which doesn't cause fedup to crash, because it doesn't
have whatever package consistency issue is causing it to hit the crash
in the first place...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey