making Ctrl-Alt-Bksp work

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 21:00:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-05-13 at 09:56 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:

> > After reboot it succeeded, but I still wonder why CAD gets enabled
> > there at installation time for pt and de by not us. :-(
>
> what's in your /etc/vconsole.conf? We've now reached a point where it's
> better to file a bug report though.

This could get messy.

For one thing I suspect i may be to do with it being the default layout;
perhaps this means anaconda never explicitly calls localed to write out
a config if you never change the layout from us. I'd have to dig into
anaconda to make sure.

The thing that makes it messy, though, is the vestigial bit of
system-config-keyboard / system-setup-keyboard that systemd/localed is
still lugging around, the Magic List of keyboard layouts called
kbd-model-map . It's in /usr/share/systemd/kbd-model-map on an installed
system, src/locale/kbd-model-map in a systemd git checkout.

A layout setting operation that gets run through that list is probably
going to get the terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp option set, because it's listed
in the 'xoptions' column of kbd-model-map for every layout that file
contains.

I no longer recall exactly when localed does and possibly does not use
kbd-model-map. I'd have to investigate a bit. And there may be other
wrinkles around the place. But that's at least one place to look. (An
obvious first test is to try an install with two similar non-default
keyboard layouts, one that's listed in kbd-model-map and one that isn't,
and see what happens).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey