F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jun 12 14:32:53 UTC 2014

Am 12.06.2014 16:28, schrieb Jan Zelený:
> On 12. 6. 2014 at 10:11:40, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>> At least "systemctl" is generic unlike "dnf".  And systemctl is much
>> more of a change from the way "service" works that it warranted a
>> change of name.  "yum" and "dnf" both work pretty much the same way
>> from the user's perspective, so it is not a good argument to change
>> the name.
>
> Actually it is. The "pretty much" part is exactly the reason why to change the
> name. If we didn't, a ton of users who are not reading this conversation would
> start filing regression bugs. If we set their expectations right, warning them
> that yum is no more, they are far less likely to do so.

wrong

* you get that regression bugs anyways
* the only thing what you are doing is spread confusion

in case of "set their expectations right"

* why was GNOME3 not renamed
* why was KDE4 not renamed
* why was Apache 2.4 not renamed

the only expectation a user has is that behavior don't change
and features / options are not removed and called "improvement"