F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Jun 13 14:09:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 09:38:40AM +0200, Jan Zelený wrote:
> On 12. 6. 2014 at 10:54:45, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > > Nothing will change for you, the yum command will still exist for a
> > > few more Fedora releases,
> >
> > Which only postpones the problem.
> >
> > > just as the `service` command that was superseded by systemctl like
> > > 5 releases of Fedora ago exists.
> >
> > Which is currently annoying me, for the same reason.
>
> I'm sorry you feel this way. Most of the people I talked to are quite happy
> how this transition was handled. That's why I consider it a good strategy for
> dnf as well. If you have any other suggestions other than keeping the name, we
> will be open to consider them.

The command name doesn't have to match the project name. E.g. just
look at the ImageMagick package--there are tons of generic command
names that don't mention "ImageMagick" (or any abbreviation thereof)
in their names:

>rpm -ql ImageMagick|grep bin
/usr/bin/animate
/usr/bin/compare
/usr/bin/composite
/usr/bin/conjure
/usr/bin/convert
/usr/bin/display
/usr/bin/identify
/usr/bin/import
/usr/bin/mogrify
/usr/bin/montage
/usr/bin/stream

So I propose we keep calling the project DNF and the package dnf, but
start the transition to a generic command name for "the tool that
installs, removes, and updates packages".  I propose that this command
name be called "pkg".  We can keep backwards compatibility to both the
"yum" command name and the "dnf" command name indefinitely.