F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 15:14:01 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 13.06.2014 16:49, schrieb drago01:
>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:
>>> On 06/13/2014 09:03 AM, drago01 wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
>>> the user expects that anyways if you replace something he
>>> did not asked for replace it and what just worked for him
>>>
>>> Well there are different levels of "works" i.e just because something works
>>> that
>>> something does not have to be the best possible implementation of
>>> "something" ...
>>>
>>> Horses worked too but at some point we decided that cars work better
>>> and moved on.
>>>
>>> Yes but who is this better for? A few developers or the mass of people and
>>> documentation that
>>> are used to using "yum".
>>>
>>> With cars it was obviously better for me - dnf not so obvious.
>>
>> Well I replied to his general statements about developers "not
>> understanding simple facts" ... that aside ...
>
> then the next time quote that what you reply to instead strip it
> out and stop talking about "statements" and "facts" because what you
> refer to was "the user expects that anyways if you replace something
> he did not asked for replace it and what just worked for him, why
> do so many developers not understand that simple fact?"
>
> it let you not look smarter if you try to drive a discussion
> in a specific direction by selective quoting and refer to
> things nobody but you knows you are refer to

That line was not supposed to get removed ... that happened while
rewording the mail. Sorry for the incomplete quote.

> the argumentation the whole thread is bigot because as long it's
> opportune to support the own viewpoint the reason for the rename
> is because users expectations but if someone makes clear that it's
> wrong than the same people switch their argumentation within seconds
> to "it's the developers decision"

Have you seen my other mails in the thread? I actually do agree that
the command should be just called yum.

> bad attitude - someone should decide if he cares more for users
> and thousands of documentations, howtos and books or if he don't
> care for the users - not change his position all the time
>
>> it fits pretty well the horse (yum) is slower so takes longer to get
>> the job done as the car (dnf) ;)
>
> well, hopefully it does not fit the same way if it needs to drive
> offside a nice road in context of software: stability

Yeah there are ways to solve that (testing and fixing bugs during the
development phase i.e now).

But we should not stop progress because what we have "works" ... we
don't work on Fedora to
keep things as is we want to improve what we have. (Just to be clear
again that has nothing to do with the *name* of the things .... we
just should not live in the past forever because something "works").