F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jun 14 09:37:53 UTC 2014

Am 14.06.2014 10:05, schrieb Tim Lauridsen:
> Come on, every thing in Fedora changes all the time, It is hard for me to see the fuzz about
> having to type 'dnf install foobar', instead of 'yum install foobar'
> If you uses a tool like yum at the command line, you should be able to handle that.

a naive point of view from a single machine user never seen larger
environments using scripts for a lot of tasks which needs all to
be re-viewed and fixed for no benefit

the same for /var/cache/yum/ versus /var/cache/dnf/
thats the place from where i fill a own repo and rollout
updates for over 20 machines to save time and bandwidth

i don't know on how many places i would have to make that change
and honestly if decisions would be made in a smart way i don't
need to - most likely if there would be no symlink or the simlink
goes one would make it by himself or even write a shell-wrapper
in place of /usr/bin/yum - not a nice work and that's why careless
break compatibility to become more notice of news is just wrong