F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jun 17 19:41:10 UTC 2014

Am 17.06.2014 21:36, schrieb Stijn Hoop:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 08:03:20 -0600
> Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 09:07:39 +0200
>> Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Any other suggestions then? Cause `pkg` would be my #1 choice.
>>
>> Personally, I think adding another name just adds another problem.
>>
>> kevin
>>

> This, please do not invent some generic name and be forced in 10 years
> to rename yet again with the same arguments.
>
> Either keep the dnf name:
>
> - and update all documentation basically with s/yum/dnf/g
> - and make sure it's big in the release notes
> - and provide a yum frontend with compatibility warnings

the problem is you can't update all documentations out there

that is an ongoing problem - there are here and there howtos
for setups built with more than one component and if it
comes to changes here and there without a very good reason
the step-by-step howto becomes invalid

> or rename dnf to yum and call it 4.0:
>
> - and warn programmers that the interface has changed
> - and make sure that obsoleted options warn of changed defaults
>
> My preference is the latter, basically because I don't see the wins
> in the first case, FWIW

+1

a new major version always indicates that there may be some
*well justified changes* and thats why major.minor.bugfix
exists - sadly these days more and more projetcs ignore this
vesioning by missing knowledge or not care and follow google
chrome