DNF: why does it refresh metadata all the time

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 16:26:14 UTC 2014

Hi

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> what you or i prefer don't matter

Sure it does.  Otherwise you would not insist that your perspective is the
only right one and everyone else who has a different perspective is always
"wrong" in any such discussion.

> the ordinary user never uses yum/dnf at all and most of them just
> react on the "new updates are available" in the GUI

I have been dealing with user questions in Fedora for around 10 years now
and I would disagree with that assertion.  We never really managed to
attract a large crowd of regular consumers to Fedora who preferred the
graphical interfaces for updates and the interfaces have been pretty poor
despite several revisions (up2date, pup, gpk-update etc).  It might be
change with better software managers now but I suspect that most of our
"regular" users are in fact using the command line for updates at this
point.

Rahul