dnf even allows to uninstall RPM and systemd without warnings

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 18:10:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> It isn't just remove/erase operations. Updates can be problematic for
> kernels. distro-sync can also remove some packages while updating or
> downgrading others and that might catch some people by surprise.

And once in awhile a packager fumbles Obsoletes/Provides for a
package, and then some really surprising results can come out of the
depsolver, as a web search for "Protected multilib versions" will
show.

How about a compromise solution: a plugin, enabled by default, that
protects a few key components (kernel, systemd, rpm), and nothing to
prevent that plugin from being removed (i.e., no direct dependencies
on the plugin)?  That, it seems to me, would satisfy most of the
participants in this thread.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/